Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Holiday Season...

...I'm not a fan of it. That's no real secret. I mean, I love that everyone is in the holiday spirit but that usually lasts for about 20 seconds. Don't get me wrong, I love Thanksgiving and Chanuka/Christmas but really I only love it because I have off from work.

These holidays seem to be the "obligatory family holidays" and I just don't like that obligatory and family are in the same sentence. At all. I enjoy spending time with my family but I like it when there's no pressure. No pressure of who's cooking what, where are we going to get together, who's giving presents to whom. I hate all that chaos. I don't want to think about any of it. Tell me where to show up, and I will, with desserts in tow.

I can't really complain about this holiday season, as of yet. I had Thanksgiving at Noddie's house and Noddie, Lucy (her aunt) and Co. always provide good food and company. I'm never disappointed when I'm told to be at Lucy's for a shindig. Thanksgiving was no exception. Homemade everything! Cranberry sauce, hummus, tahini, grape leaves (though I don't eat them), some tarte thing with cream cheese and turnips (I think) that I forgot to try, amazing stuffing, the best green beans I've ever had, and soooo much more. Lucy needs to cater. But it's not all about the food. I really just love being at their house. I get good vibes in that place. Lots of love. It was packed that day with tons of family I've never met before and I liked how everyone said their hellos and gave their kisses and broke off into their groups. It was like an unspoken thing there--no need to chit chat with people you'd rather avoid, but say hi and be polite and then eat! You could hardly hear yourself think, the place was so packed. People yelling over each other so they could be heard, it was wonderful. That is what I want Thanksgiving to be like in my house. I wasn't able to stay for dessert but I know those were first-rate as well. Sadly I missed Lucy's annual Christmas get together. Boo.

I did go to Ann and Mike's for an Olde England Seasonal Celebration and what a freakin' blast that was. Again, I loved that it was friends getting together not so much because it's Christmas and there should be goodwill towards people and crap like that, but rather because we all wanted to spend time together and this was the perfect excuse. The best part of the evening, in my opinion, was leaving and seeing a light dusting of snow on the ground. Our first actual snow of the year. It was beautiful and pristine. Untouched, unmarred snow in New Haven--minus the cars. I love it. Ann made some awesome mince pies that I could not get enough of. She was sweet enough to give me the recipe and I hope to try it soon. I always thought mince pies were meat but it's fruit! Who knew!?! I made Figgy Pudding (because it's British and I wanted to keep with the theme) and Gale brought some of her spectacular homemade bread.

These celebrations are really what I want when I get my own place. Family is nice and all but when you're forced to spend time with them, are you ever truly happy with it? I have a lot of friends who don't have much, if any, family around so it would be great to have meals together and be our own family-type unit. Everyone would contribute too, even if it's just with some extra chairs or whatever. I have it all planned already. And why wait until the holidays to get people together? I want dinner parties year round! Who's coming?

:D

2 comments:

Ani said...

1- We actually had snow Thanksgiving weekend. :-)
2- I would give anything to not be dragged to holidays with the families. Seriously, I'd rather have a root canal-- and I have had one before so I know what its like.

I love year round dinner parties, I tried to do that when I lived in Hamden, I didn't do as many as I wanted, but i had a fair amount of friend dinners :-)
Theres nothing better.

Invite me k?

Anonymous said...

I'm in! :) I love a good party any day!