Thursday, December 04, 2008

Bah Humbug!

hehe I love this time of year for one reason and one reason alone: I can say "Bah humbug!" and it's appropriate. :D

I stole this survey thing from Sunflowerfairy, as promised and have made changes to it.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? They don't call me cheap and easy for nothin', folks. I'm all about gift bags. I'm so last minute it's usually all I have time for. I used to be a wrapping paper kind of girl but those days are long gone.

2. Real tree or Artificial? So for those that haven't realized, I'm Jewish. I don't "do" trees. BUT! My lovely sister and her husband celebrate Christmas and when I lived with them they had a real tree the first year...maybe the first two years? Ugh! I hated the smell and we found the damned needles months later! They were hibernating everywhere possible. It was terrible. They now do artificial and I'm glad for that...even though I don't live with them any longer.

3. When do you put up the tree? I think most people put it up Thanksgiving weekend, right? I think Shell (sister--have I ever used her name before?) would have but she had her husband's family and me over that weekend and with BenBen being almost 2 (!!!!) I'm sure it's a little difficult for her to take the time to put it up.

4. When do you take the tree down? After the New Year? I can't remember.

5. Do you like eggnog? I've never tried it. I have, however, tried eggnog ice cream and I wanted to die after 1 spoonful. Thinking about it makes me want to rake the tastebuds off my tongue. No lie.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? Umm...is it sad that I can't think of one? Joey always used to ruin my gifts for me. I don't think he did it intentionally but he would always say things like, "Why are you getting excited? You know it's just another purse." And sure enough...it was a purse. hahaha

7. Hardest person to buy for? Shelley. She's always been the hardest to buy for. Thankfully, for the past couple years we've been picking names out of a hat and we buy for that one person and the person we live with and I seem to always get either Joey or Ola. But yeah, she doesn't have any hobbies--though I know she wants to get into quilting, and she and Jer buy whatever they want for themselves.

8. Easiest person to buy for? Joey. He's such a geek, I love it. Anything computer/science related and he loves it. If I'm really having trouble, I give him money bc there's always some computer something or other that he's itching to get to modify his pc.

9. Do you have a nativity scene? I never understood the nativity scene. Why have it? Well, why have a tree? Maybe that's the real question.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? I don't do either. I'm bad with holiday cards. Maybe one year...just not this year. :)

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Hmm...Again, I can't really think of one that I was like "WTF?!?" over. Thankfully.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? I LOVE A Christmas Story!!!! I always watch it Christmas day since I have nothing better to do and they play it ALL day. hehe I can pick up anywhere and still see the whole movie! What's better than that?

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? 2 weeks before? *shrug* Depends on who I'm buying for and how excited I am about the process.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Nope.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Gramma (Jer's grandmother, that is--everyone calls her Gramma) makes the best cookies ever. I loved when Shell would come home on Christmas with an entire tray of cookies that Gramma made. She was an army cook and she still cooks/bakes like she's feeding the US Army. It's great. No one's cookies compare to hers. And she makes the BEST rugelach!

16. Lights on the tree? I think Shell has lights build in now. I love lights on the trees. Oh! The first year Shell and Jer had their tree, they bought blue and silver ornaments so that I wouldn't feel so alienated in their house. How sweet is that? She was like, "Look, Bethie. Blue and silver ornaments. I got em for you..." If I had emotions those many years ago, I would have cried. Seriously.

17. Favorite Christmas song? I hate Christmas songs. I hate them the minute I hear them. I can tolerate ones that have no words...just a nice simple melody. BUT! Actually, there is one Christmas song I do love. It's the Snoopy one!! I could listen to that one year round. And maybe the George Michael one. I have a soft spot for him. haha

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? I go to my parent's house for Chanuka every year. We exchange gifts there.

19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? Let's see. Donner, Blitzen, Cupid ???, Rudolph, Dasher, Vixen, Comit....That's all I got. How'd I do?

20. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? I would Jer his Christmas present on Christmas Day.

21. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? Christmas music, people feeling the need to spend oodles of money, increased crime...?

22. Favorite ornament theme or color? I just saw this awesome tree display in Owego, NY when I was at my sister's. It was a peacock themed trees. All greens, blues and purples. It was the most beautiful tree I've ever seen. It had awesome fabrige egg type ornaments and faux peacock feathers. Amazing. I want it.

23. What do you want for Christmas this year? A house of my own. Or a really good cookbook that will magically teach me to cook. :D Oh wait...Or this new blanket from brooklyntweed. **SWOON**

24. Angel on the tree top or a star? I personally like the star look.

25. Favorite Christmas dinner? Uhh...latkes?


That was fun.

2 comments:

Ani said...

that why you were swooning last night??
Artificial trees?! THEY SMELL AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Octopus Knits said...

Oooo, peacock themed trees sound lovely! I'm totally with you on the Girasole blanket :)

I'm doing well, but still job searching, darn it!