Friday, January 09, 2009

Hug o' War

...by Shel Silverstein. I love this poem, so I thought I would share.

I will not play at tug o' war

I'd rather play at hug o' war,

Where everyone hugs

Instead of tugs

Where everyone giggles

And rolls on the rug,

Where everyone kisses

And everyone grins

And everyone cuddles

And everyone wins.

I bought my nephew Where the Sidewalks Ends for Chanuka. It's a 25 year anniversary edition, maybe 20 year, and with it comes a CD of Shel Silverstein playing the guitar and singing some of his prose. I was actually thinking of getting another copy for myself.

Here's The Giving Tree:



I remember we put this book on as a play when I was in 7th or 8th grade. We did it in Hebrew, at the old folks home. It's kind of a sad story, and I don't know why we chose to do it but I think it was for Tu B'shvat, which is basically Jewish Arbor Day. Mmm! I used to love Tu B'shvat when I was in school. We would eat awesome fruit all day (dates, figs, pomegranates, grapes) and have carob and cookies and crackers. YUM! We would eat at least one of each of the seven species of Israel. We also used to count the seeds in pomegranates to see if there really were 613 in them. It's also a custom to plant a tree in Israel and is considered an honor if you do in memory of someone or for a special occasion like a wedding, birth or bar mitzvah. I want carob this year! I will find it.

Really, all I wanted to go was share the Hug o' War poem with you though...so I bid you farewell.

No comments: